Unofficial DVM Windows Beta

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sun Jun 5 00:39:10 PDT 2011

"Andrej Mitrovic" <andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.628.1307208393.14074.digitalmars-d-announce at puremagic.com...

> Btw, is there a shortcut for getting the latest DMD release? E.g.
> something like:
> dvm install 2.x, for the latest 2.x release?

There currently isn't, but that's a very good idea. One of the great things
about DVM is that it's fantastic for first-time D users, but we shouldn't
expect such newbies to know what version they want or what the latest
version is.

Just brainstorming here: I think the best way to handle this would involve
somehow finding out the latest version from digitalmars.com. It definitely
wouldn't be good if a DVM developer needed to manually update something
every time Walter issues a release. But we also wouldn't want to try to
force another TODO onto Walter's plate whenever he pushes a DMD update. DVM
could try different download URLs and see which is the highest version
number that doesn't 404, but that's obviously an ugly resource-intensive
kludge.

The best thing I can think of right now would be to download the changelog
page on digitalmars.com and scrape that to find the latest version. Maybe we
could have some web server automatically do it at regular intervals (twice
daily?) and provide a simple "latest-dmd2" and "latest-dmd1" URL which would
just return the right version number.

Jacob: Your thoughts?