Unofficial DVM Windows Beta

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Mon Jun 6 16:55:35 PDT 2011

"Jacob Carlborg" <doob at me.com> wrote in message
news:isib2k$8h4$1 at digitalmars.com...
> On 2011-06-05 22:48, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> The "dvm-default-dc", however, shouldn't be needed on Windows. Since
>> Windows
>> stores the user's PATH and other env vars in the registry instead of a
>> shell-specific script like ~/.bashrc, I'm pretty sure that the default
>> compiler will work fine even from a GUI app just by running "dmd".
>> (Although, come to think of it, I'm going to have to test that...) It
>> should
>> pick up the correct path from the user's PATH environment variable just
>> like
>> the command prompt would. Although, if the user changes the default
>> compiler
>> while the GUI app is running, then to pick up the new changes, the GUI
>> app
>> would have to handle the WM_SETTINGCHANGED/"Environment" message: And I
>> don't know how common that is (maybe it's automatically handled by the
>> Win
>> API?) If that can't be relied on, then maybe "dvm-default-dc" would still
>> be
>> useful on Windows too. I'll look into it.
>
> That would be great, thanks.

I did a quick little GUI test in VS.NET/C#, trying a couple different
methods. It did *not* automatically pick up the changes to the env vars
while it was running (and at at one point it even stopped picking up the
changes at all, even after restarting the little test app. Which was weird.)
So they need to be specifically coded to pick up env changes. I didn't test
it from D, but something as major as .NET doesn't do it by default, then
"dvm-default-dc" is definitely useful on Windows.

So I've added both "dvm-default-dc" and "dvm-current-dc" to my windows fork.