TDPL is an Amazon Kindle bestseller

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Mon Jun 20 16:09:13 PDT 2011

On 2011-06-20 15:51, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 15:49:33 -0400, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:
> > "Walter Bright" <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
> > news:ito7i8$1tb7$1 at digitalmars.com...

> >> Notice that DRM has faded away on downloadable music.
> >
> > Has it? I really haven't been paying attention to (legally) downloadable
> > music since when I did look at it, it was all either heavily DRMed or
> > MP3. I
> > know the iTunes store started offering DRM-less stuff, but they were
> > charging extra for it, so I wasn't interested (especially since I could
> > rip
> > the DRM out myself).
>
> iTunes (at least the music part of it) is DRM free. You can no longer
> download DRM'd songs from apple (and you can re-download DRM-free versions
> of any songs you purchased before they made this change for free).
>
> Yes, they are charging more for some songs, and less for others. But as
> far as I know, there is no fee for removing DRM. The increase in price
> was a compromise to get the artists to agree to remove DRM from all the
> songs. They are also charging less in some cases (but probably only on
> songs nobody wants :). The increase is not exorbitant. From what I
> remember it was 1.29 instead of .99 per song. I don't know the exact
> details, I haven't bought many songs from iTunes, my current ripped tracks
> are usually good enough :)

Personally, I don't deal with any download-to-own music, because they always
seem to sell it in lossy formats. When they actually start selling music in a
lossless format like FLAC, then I might start looking at them. But until then,
I might as well just buy the CDs and rip them myself.

- Jonathan M Davis