TDPL is an Amazon Kindle bestseller

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 06:04:13 PDT 2011

Am 21.06.2011 01:37, schrieb Walter Bright:
> On 6/20/2011 12:13 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> I've been guessing that will only happen when DRM starts going away.
>
> Sadly, any DRM books you buy on the Nook aren't usable on the Kindle and
> vice versa.

(I sent this reply yesterday, but it seems like the server lost it)

DRM is generally a bad idea - especially for stuff you buy and not just
rent.
Once the DRM servers are down (because the company is bankrupt or stops
the service) your books/music/movies/... are gone.

Because of that I'd never buy E-Books or music with DRM - if I buy a
book I want to be able to read it again in 20 years - same with music.
Plus I want to be able to play music on any device (like my car radio)
and not just on my PC or iPod.

So I agree with Nick: Until E-Books are DRM free (and have a standard
format that works on any E-Book reader, but I think this is already
available) they (hopefully!) won't supersede paperbacks.

Another thing is that I actually like having real books in my shelf,
just like CDs and computer games (it already pisses me off that the they
are usually distributed in DVD cases now and not anymore in these big
cardboard boxes).

Cheers,
- Daniel