Programming Windows D Examples are now Online!

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Tue Jun 21 07:41:18 PDT 2011

Andrej Mitrovic:

> Everything else you need to know is in the Readme file:
> https://github.com/AndrejMitrovic/DWindowsProgramming

It looks like a lot of work!
I have not tried to compile the code yet.

I am not asking you to modify the code, but D with() was designed to reduce noise in code like:

    wndclass.style = CS_HREDRAW | CS_VREDRAW;
    wndclass.lpfnWndProc = &WndProc;
    wndclass.cbClsExtra = 0;
    wndclass.cbWndExtra = 0;
    wndclass.hInstance = hInstance;
    wndclass.hIcon = LoadIcon(NULL, IDI_APPLICATION);
    wndclass.hCursor = LoadCursor(NULL, IDC_ARROW);
    wndclass.hbrBackground = cast(HBRUSH) GetStockObject(WHITE_BRUSH);
    wndclass.lpszMenuName = appName.toUTF16z;
    wndclass.lpszClassName = appName.toUTF16z;

The code in those examples is generally very noisy (I presume about as much as the original code). I have mixed feelings about it.

Sometimes final switches are not easy to retrofit.

Bye,
bearophile