Programming Windows D Examples are now Online!

Jimmy Cao jcao219 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 23 04:27:34 PDT 2011

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 6:06 AM, Kagamin <spam at here.lot> wrote:

> Jimmy Cao Wrote:
>
> > I don't think console output is unbuffered.  I think it's line-buffered
> by
> > default.  Although it does differ and vary; I think on Windows
> > std.stdio.write("hello\n") doesn't flush but on Linux it does.
>
> LOL, MS resource compiler doesn't use symantec C runtime.
> In fact sc runtime didn't flush, but this was fixed, though I don't
> remember where, in phobos or in sc.

I've tested it out with DMD 2.053 on Windows XP.

import std.stdio;
import core.thread;

void main()
{
    version(WIDE)  // Will flush during write
        wstring mystr = "Hello\n"w;
    else // Will not flush
        string mystr = "Hello\n";

    write(mystr);

    Thread.sleep( 70_000_000 );  // 7 sec
    stdout.flush();
}

Also, there's nothing in the C standard that says, stdout must be buffered
this way or that way or even buffered at all.  I believe you can safely
assume that stdout is line-buffered in Linux, though, but I'm not sure.