building of D for...

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Fri Mar 4 02:43:22 PST 2011

On Friday 04 March 2011 02:20:58 gleb wrote:
> Kagamin wrote:
> > gleb Wrote:
> >> Thank you, i'll see. Unfortunately i'm not shure dmd can helps and of
> >> course, peoples rudely hopes for native solution... :)
> >
> > That will be a problem. See license:
> > ---
> > The Software is copyrighted and comes with a single user license,
> > and may not be redistributed. If you wish to obtain a redistribution
> > license, please contact Digital Mars.
>
> I see. But addition of another option to the list of downloads
> (http://digitalmars.com/d/download.html) will not break the license?

Linking to the downloads certainly doesn't break any licenses. You're telling
people where to get it, not distributing it yourself.

> PS: in current state, pushing mentioned Software into the repository, e.g.
> Sisyphus (0.00(001) % from Windows users), probably will not reduce any
> commercial profit, rather increase it by some kind of advertising :)
>
> there are some examples...

If you want to restribute dmd, as long as you have a decent reason, pretty much
all you have to do is ask Walter for permission. The license stops you from just
redistributing it on your own, but Walter gives permission fairly freely.

- Jonathan M Davis