Plot2kill 0.2

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 11 05:53:56 PST 2011

On 3/11/2011 2:49 AM, Kagamin wrote:
> dsimcha Wrote:
>
>> The problem with the with statement idea is that you still need to
>> declare the variable.  I often throw up quick anonymous plots with
>> anonymous Figure objects, like:
>>
>> Histogram(someDataSet).toFigure
>>       .title("A Title")
>>       .xLabel("Stuff")
>>       .showAsMain();
>
> It's also easier to debug code if you store objects in variables. What if histogram is created with a bug, how would you diagnose it? If you have the histogram stored in a variable, you can put a breakpoint after the assignment and inspect the histogram, but your example doesn't provide a variable to inspect.

Well, then give it a name if you ever end up needing to.  In general I
hate this as an argument against terse but readable code because you can
always make things into named variables very easily if you ever need to
set a breakpoint there.  Usually I use as few named variables as I can
without hurting readability when I program, both to save typing and
because I find it hard to think of good names for intermediate
variables, so I end up naming them something horrible.