Plot2kill 0.2

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Fri Mar 11 13:33:19 PST 2011

"dsimcha" <dsimcha at yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:ildvns$2epk$1 at digitalmars.com...
> == Quote from Kagamin (spam at here.lot)'s article
>> > May be m$ debugger sucks, but it's nontrivial to step through methods
>> > called
> in single statement: it tends to step through the whole statement, though
> you can
> step-in and step-out.
>> You will also step into functions called for arguments like getColor() in
>> the
> example.
>
> Ok, I'll admit I don't know much about this stuff.  I debug mostly with
> asserts
> and print statements.  I very seldom use a debugger.

Same here. I got used to "printf-debugging" when dealing with a bunch of
platforms that lacked debuggers. Plus it makes it a lot easier to look
backwards in time (just scroll up instead of restarting and re-stepping
through).

Unfortunately that makes debugging CTFE a royal pain in the ass since CTFE
has absolutely zero way to send anything to stdout - or any other IO for
that matter. And you can't work around it by appending to a log to then
display at runtime because CTFE deliberately disallows any global mutable
state *even* when order-of-evaluation doesn't matter for what you're trying
to do.