Release: GDC for Windows

Andrej Mitrovic andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 08:35:00 PDT 2011

On 3/25/11, Kagamin <spam at here.lot> wrote:
> Daniel Green Wrote:
>
>> On 3/24/2011 6:53 PM, Kagamin wrote:
>> > Is the AIX problem valid for windows too?
>> What is the AIX problem?
>
> https://bitbucket.org/goshawk/gdc/wiki/UserDocumentation#!known-issues
>
> writeln("hello world")
> compiles to 3MB exe which is approx 1/3 of libgphobos2.
> object file is just 3KB.

The real issue here is that the GDC binaries that were just released
weren't stripped. I guess Daniel forgot about that. :)

There's strip.exe that you can use on Windows. It usually comes with
either TDM-GCC or MinGW binaries. Once you have it, run this batch
file from GDC's main directory:

for /F %%G in ('dir /B /S *.exe;*.a;*.so') do strip --strip-unneeded %%G

Now libgphobos2 will be 3.5 megs in size, and a test project with a
writeln() will compile to 966Kb.