Patterns of Human Error - my presentation at the DC ACM

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Fri May 6 17:28:12 PDT 2011

On 5/6/2011 3:50 PM, bearophile wrote:
> Walter:
>
>> Interestingly, nobody saw all 5 bugs.
>
> A good C lint has caught three of them,

C lint is not standard C.

That's just the trouble with 3rd party tools. They:

1. are not part of the language
2. have wildly varying effectiveness and quality
3. have no standardized behavior
4. get out of sync with compiler & language changes
5. tend to have installation issues like all 3rd party add-on tools do
6. tend to not be available on the same platforms the language is on
7. are not routinely used

For real progress to be made, the *language* must be improved.