Pihlaja View is a small film post production tool made with D

Jonas Kivi seewebsite at foremail.fom
Tue May 10 14:57:57 PDT 2011

Hello.

I've made a small utility application for film post production purposes.
It's called Pihlaja View.

It's just a viewer for DPX image sequence files (and other formats too),
which are the end product of data-scanning film. There's also a small
EDL-editor inside it. EDLs are Edit Decision Lists which are used to
transfer editing data between different tools. This particular
EDL-editor is best in sorting out finished EDLs for data-scanning. (You
would have guessed by now, that I used to do a lot of data-scanning of
film...)

Anyway, there are not that many features, but the UI is quite flashy.
It's done entirely in OpenGL with a GUI library currently known as Rae.
See http://www.dsource.org/projects/rae/ for more info. Both Rae and
Pihlaja View are "entirely" written in D1/Tango. (All new code written
by me is in D, but there are a bunch of C libraries that run underneath,
such as Cairo, GraphicsMagick, libquicktime etc.) I have an old slightly
customized version of GtkD to handle bindings to Cairo, so Rae examples
might not compile out of the box with current GtkD, but with just a
little extra effort you might be able to pull it through.

Rae is licenced under MIT/X11, but Pihlaja View is proprietary
(sorry...). I've set up a little website where you can see Pihlaja View
in action: http://pihlaja.org/

Check out the screenshots and the video (which can be seen in blurry HD
on Vimeo). And if you have Mac OS X 10.5 (Intel) you might want to try
the Trial Version. Linux and Windows versions coming later... hope. (I
have it running on Linux on my own machine, just need to get it packaged
somehow.) This is kind of a proof of concept for myself, that it might
be possible to do something bigger later, but I've tried to polish it to
the best of my ability.

I'll be happy to hear your comments and feedback.

Jonas Kivi