dmd 1.068 and 2.053 release

Rainer Schuetze r.sagitario at gmx.de
Sun May 15 11:51:11 PDT 2011

Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
> On 5/15/11, Rainer Schuetze <r.sagitario at gmx.de> wrote:
>> You have to update dbghelp.dll. It's version is 5.1.2600.5512 on my XP,
>> which does not work. You probably need some version 6.x, 6.11.1.404 from
>> the "Microsoft Debugging Tools for Windows" worked for me.
>>
>> http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols/debuggers/dbg_x86_6.11.1.404.msi
>>
>> There is a newer version available, but it seems you have to install the
>> full Windows SDK for this.
>>
>> Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
>>> Hmm.. so it might be an XP issue. I'll give Win7 a try later.
>
> No, I have had version 6.12.2.633 installed. I also gave your older
> link a try, it didn't help.
> I've also tried it on Windows7 after installing debugging tools via
> the SDK, and that also didn't help. I really don't understand what is
> causing this issue.
>
> Tried compiling via -debug -g, and -debug -gc.
>
> The only other thing I can think of is if there is some other
> dependency which I might be missing. Maybe I'll take a look at the new
> phobos sources later and try figuring out what is going on.

Is it failing for every executable or only for more complex stuff?

I guess any version of dbghelp.dll might stumble over the debug info of
larger programs, e.g. if they contain compressed symbols, symbols longer
than 255 characters, inconsistent debug info, etc. cv2pdb also fixes
various issues, but these might be unrelated to the symbols necessary
for the stack dump.