DVM - D Version Manager 0.2.0

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Wed May 18 23:51:16 PDT 2011

On 2011-05-18 22:33, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> "Jacob Carlborg"<doob at me.com>  wrote in message
> news:ir0o9o$1st5$1 at digitalmars.com...

>>> This is one of the side effects of having open source software. Since
>>> everything on linux is expected to be open source, it's expected that
>>> you simply recompile everything for your system. In this respect,
>>> Windows has Linux beat hands down. A hardware company that builds a
>>> driver needs only to support one compiled driver that just keeps working
>>> no matter how many times XP is updated.
>>
>> The problem I have with my tool is like the chicken and the egg problem.
>> The tool installs D compilers and you're supposed to use the tool without
>> the requirement of an pre-existing DMD compiler.
>>

> I've been thinking it would probably be possible to bootstrap DVM with a
> shell script that would wget some specific DMD, set it up, at least enough
> to build DVM (possibly even automatically building
> DMD/druntime/phobos/tango - which is something we really need a more
> automated way to do anway, especially for "trunk" versions (or whatever the
> Git-lingo for "trunk" is)), and then use that to build DVM.
>
> I may give it a try myself.

In the case I just could have written the tool in shell script in the
first place and that's what I want to avoid. I hate shell scripts and it
would make it even harder to create a version for Windows.

I think the right approach is to provied pre-compiled binaries. I
downloaded Ubuntu 4.10, or something like that. I'll install it in a
virtual machine and try it out.

--
/Jacob Carlborg