D2 port of Tango

mta`chrono chrono at mta-international.net
Sun Nov 6 03:43:03 PST 2011

>> You will never satisfy both worlds (simplicity vs flexibility). Both
>> Phobos and Tango have their place in the D community. It is unfortunate
>> many people in the D community fails to see it. Also, it is unfortunate
>> (but very easy to explain) that Tango project started as a complete
>> implementation of the run-time library. We debate this for years on
>> irc://
>> irc.freenode.org/d and it never ends.

Tango d2 should give up it's own runtime and consequently use druntime,
even though this is an immense change that nearly affects everything to
change.

Nobody will be able to maintain two runtime's at the same time. You'll
have to be aware of so many stuff. Even if you provide a method that the
user can choose between tango's runtime and druntime, you will have to
mess around with duplicate declarations etc. In one module you're using
tango's struct sockaddr declaration and in the other you'll try to pass
it to a functions that requires druntime's struct sockaddr. the compiler
will complain that you cannot pass sockaddr where sockaddr is required.

So please give up tango's runtime and make a consequent use of druntime.
If someone want's to customize the behavoir of the gc for example than
he should use druntime's possibilities to change it.