D2 port of xfBuild (alpha version)

Andrej Mitrovic andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 09:43:30 PST 2011

Right now my goal is to get xfBuild stable (fix bugs I might have
introduced), and try to fix any bugs it had from before.

I'm certainly interested in adding major new features, but I don't
know whether I should bloat the xfBuild codebase or start a new
project for that. And anyway that will come at a later time. Bug fixes
are a priority right now.

On 11/24/11, Gour <gour at atmarama.net> wrote:
> What do you think about capabilities ala Cmake's CPack to be able to
> prepare installers/packages for different systems/OS-es?

As far as packages go, Jacob Carlborg is working on Orbit which is a
package manager. I really think builders and packagers are two
different beasts and should probably be done separately.

On 11/24/11, Gour <gour at atmarama.net> wrote:
> Excuse my ignorance, but I wonder if xfbuild tool is meant/capable to
> build C-libs which might get included within the project and then e.g.
> build bindings (e.g. using SWIG) etc.?

No, xfBuild was made strictly for compiling D code by automatically
tracking dependencies based on imports and deps files generated by DMD
(maybe even GDC, I'm not sure yet). C libs come with their own build
systems and shell scripts, and you'd have more luck solving the
halting problem than making a tool that can autobuild and do SWIG
wrapping of arbitrary C libraries. :p