D2 port of xfBuild (alpha version)

Gour gour at atmarama.net
Thu Nov 24 11:26:11 PST 2011

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 18:43:30 +0100
Andrej Mitrovic <andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com> wrote:

> Right now my goal is to get xfBuild stable (fix bugs I might have
> introduced), and try to fix any bugs it had from before.

OK. Fair-enough.

> I'm certainly interested in adding major new features, but I don't
> know whether I should bloat the xfBuild codebase or start a new
> project for that. And anyway that will come at a later time. Bug fixes
> are a priority right now.

OK.

> As far as packages go, Jacob Carlborg is working on Orbit which is a
> package manager. I really think builders and packagers are two
> different beasts and should probably be done separately.

Right, like cmake & cpack.

> No, xfBuild was made strictly for compiling D code by automatically
> tracking dependencies based on imports and deps files generated by DMD
> (maybe even GDC, I'm not sure yet).

OK.

> C libs come with their own build systems and shell scripts, and you'd
> have more luck solving the halting problem than making a tool that can
> autobuild and do SWIG wrapping of arbitrary C libraries. :p

Well, in my case I soon plan to work on D bindings for 3rd party C-lib
which is usually shipped along with the project using it. So, in order
to build the application we need to build C lib first, then create D
bindings (e.g. by using SWIG) and finally build application which uses
that bindings.

Sincerely,
Gour