std.dateparse reincarnation

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Thu Oct 13 22:55:11 PDT 2011

On Friday, October 14, 2011 04:51:58 Jesse Phillips wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Oct 2011 12:13:40 -0700, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> > On Thursday, October 13, 2011 22:09:39 Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> >> Time formatting and parsing seems like a gap of missing functionality
> >> in Phobos 2.
> >
> > It formats and parses specific, official formats just fine, but it
> > doesn't currently support user-defined formats. It's on my TODO list.
> > Eventually, there will be something along the lines of toCustomString
> > and fromCustomString on Date, TimeOfDay, DateTime, and SysTime, where
> > they take a format string defining the custom format.
> >
> > - Jonathan M Davis
>
> For my use dateparse was actually want I wanted. I was pulling out
> strings saying, "Hey this looks like it might be a date, what do you
> think?" "Yeah, cool thank you." I don't wish to try and push it back into
> Phobos but thought others may well still be interested as I was.

That's fine. Vladimir was saying that std.datetime's formatting and parsing
abilities left something to be desired, so I was pointing out that I do intend
to give it the ability to handle custom formats. It's not really my intention
at this point that std.datetime gain the ability to take a string representing
a date and/or time in an unknown format. There's obviously no problem with you
making such code available for those who might want it though.

- Jonathan M Davis