D2 port of Tango

SiegeLord none at none.com
Thu Oct 20 11:16:13 PDT 2011

Eric Poggel (JoeCoder) Wrote:

> > That's what I do now with Tango 1.
> >
> > But if every library I used required separate installation steps
> > (instead of just pitting it in the repository), there would be about a
> > dozen to install. I want to keep things as simple as possible for my users.
> >
> > My goal is to make it as easy as:
> >
> > 1. Install dmd
> > 2. Checkout Yage from Hg
> > 3. Run the build script
>
> Sorry, I don't mean to sound so demanding.  I greatly appreciate your
> work in porting tango to D2.

No offense taken. What you're suggesting seems to me a little outside of the scope of Tango specifically. You'd have the same issue with any other 3rd party library in D and in many other languages (e.g. C and C++). This sort of thing is probably best solved by some cpan/ruby gem type of thing that was discussed earlier on the mailing lists (I don't follow them anymore so I've no idea how that turned out).

Now, in principle Tango could get special treatment that you suggest... but I personally would rather have a framework for all (registered) 3rd party libraries.

Also... in principle Tango might one day get a package in some repository (bioinformatics suggested that he would take care of it for Fedora once the port was complete) so at least it won't be as big of a deal there.

-SiegeLord