AI Challenge - Ants

Max Wolter awishformore at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 04:25:32 PDT 2011

On 10/22/2011 6:49 PM, Jesse Phillips wrote:
> For those who didn't see. AI Challenge, an event sponsored by Google,
> supports the use of D 2.054 and provides a starter pack.
>
> http://ai-contest.com/
>
> http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/ljk4v/
> ai_challenge_fall_2011_ants_now_open/
>
>  From the D.learn post:
>
> So here is the deal: You write a program that controls a population of
> ants. You get a number of ant hills and explore the map with your ant
> horde looking for food to produce more ants and enemy ant hills that you
> can raze for points.
> There is fog-of-war and obstacles. Moving ants in groups gives them better
> chances to survive by outnumbering enemies. The map is on a grid and ants
> wrap around if they move over the edges. A match usually has between 2-8
> players and is turn based. The players make their moves simultaneously
> within a time window of 500ms. Oh yeah and it is free to sign up and
> requires no previous knowledge in AI programming.
>
> Feel free to ask questions on the IRC channel #aichallenge on Freenode.

And for those who care: I'm working on a bot in D. I'm currently done
implementing the A* algorithm for path finding and it won't be long
until I have finished the exploring / gathering of food roles. The
combat strategy however is going to be huge, so that'll take a bit
longer. If anyone wants to exchange ideas, feel free to get in touch -
I'm hanging out in the freenode channel of the challenge regularly.

I will have a busy few weeks ahead, so expect the first D bot (if it
will be the first) to pop up on the upper part of the scoreboard in in
about 2-3 weeks.

/Max aka awishformore