AI Challenge - Ants

Max Wolter awishformore at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 03:12:25 PDT 2011

On 10/25/2011 1:44 PM, Trass3r wrote:
>> I'm working on a bot in D. I'm currently done implementing the A*
>> algorithm for path finding
>
> Dump A*, D* Lite ftw ;)

Hellooo.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in A*, I can just find a path, store it
(let's say as a string) and find a new one if it's blocked for some reason.

As far as I could see from what I've read about Lifelong A*, D*, Focused
D* and D* Lite, I would have to store all nodes used in the algorithm -
so, as opposed to A*, I have to conserve the state of the entire search
algorithm throughout ticks, for each ant.

Is the environment in this AI challenge really noisy enough to warrant
this? Obviously, if the path needs to be re-planned almost every tick,
D* Lite seems like a better choice to me. But if you have 100+ ants,
that would be a lot of allocated heap memory, wouldn't it?

I really don't have a clue how the processing vs allocating should be
weighed here performance-wise.

/Max