dmd 1.070 and 2.055 release

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Thu Sep 8 11:55:56 PDT 2011

On Thursday, September 08, 2011 18:16:46 Regan Heath wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Sep 2011 16:52:37 +0100, Andrej Mitrovic
>
> <andrej.mitrovich at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Ok cool, my DWin project successfully compiles. The WinAPI bindings
> > are missing extern(Windows) specifiers for its function aliases and
> > 2.055 seems to enforce this now, so that api will have to be updated.
> > The only thing that's bothering me is the notices, there's just too
> > many of them.
> >
> > For example this:
> >
> > import std.stdio;
> > import std.path;
> >
> > void main()
> > {
> >
> >     writeln(curdir.rel2abs);
> >
> > }
> >
> > turns into this:
> > Notice: As of Phobos 2.055, std.path.rel2abs has been scheduled for
> > deprecation in February 2012. Please use absolutePath instead.
> > Notice: As of Phobos 2.055, std.path.isabs has been scheduled for
> > deprecation in February 2012. Please use isAbsolute instead.
> > Notice: As of Phobos 2.055, std.path.getDrive has been scheduled for
> > deprecation in February 2012. Please use driveName instead.
> > Notice: As of Phobos 2.055, std.path.join has been scheduled for
> > deprecation in February 2012. Please use buildPath instead.
> > Notice: As of Phobos 2.055, std.path.rel2abs has been scheduled for
> > deprecation in February 2012. Please use absolutePath instead.
> > Notice: As of Phobos 2.055, std.path.isabs has been scheduled for
> > deprecation in February 2012. Please use isAbsolute instead.
> > Notice: As of Phobos 2.055, std.path.getDrive has been scheduled for
> > deprecation in February 2012. Please use driveName instead.
> > Notice: As of Phobos 2.055, std.path.join has been scheduled for
> > deprecation in February 2012. Please use buildPath instead.
> >
> > That is just unacceptable imho.
>
> It needs to tell you about each one only once, then it will be much more
> acceptable.  Ideally, some way to switch deprecation notices off.

It looks like it's probably being reported once per instantiation instead of
just once (which makes sense I guess). Improvements to deprecated which will
make it possible to have such messages without pragmas are in the works (
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/345 ), but the best way to
sort that all out hasn't been decided yet. Andrei has said that he has some
ideas on how to improve/fix the situation that he wants to discuss, but he
hasn't said what they are yet. So, yes. The current sitatuation is annoying,
but there's a good chance that it'll be improved/fix for the next release.

- Jonathan M Davis