dmd 1.070 and 2.055 release

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 10 12:27:01 PDT 2011

On 9/10/2011 2:48 PM, Timon Gehr wrote:
> On 09/08/2011 07:21 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
>> By far, the most number of bug fixes ever!
>>
>> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/1.0/changelog.html
>> http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.1.070.zip
>>
>> http://www.digitalmars.com/d/2.0/changelog.html
>> http://ftp.digitalmars.com/dmd.2.055.zip
>
> Thanks! I have written a program that runs about twice as fast as before
> when compiled with DMD 2.055. What improvement could cause this?

The big ones I can think of off the top of my head are:

1.  std.algorithm.copy is now specialized for arrays and is 10-80 times
faster.

2.  Associative arrays now use the new NO_INTERIOR GC attribute, which
massively cuts down on false pointers and therefore GC times when using
lots of AAs.

3.  If you're using std.parallelism, the implementations of amap and
parallel foreach have been completely rewritten to be more efficient,
using an obvious-in-hindsight pattern that I found while working on the
upcoming std.parallel_algorithm.

These are at the front of my mind because they're changes that I
implemented.  Given the massive number of bug fixes/improvements there
are probably a lot more potential reasons than those listed above.