video games (was Re: UFCS for D)

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 2 07:52:23 PDT 2012

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 05:37:49 -0400, Nick Sabalausky <a at a.a> wrote:

> "Walter Bright" <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
> news:jl6a6a$1gh$1 at digitalmars.com...
>> Dudes, get an HD TV. It really is transformative. And yes, it kills me
>> that my expensive old large screen standard def TV is just a POS in
>> comparison, even though it is in perfect working order.
>>
>> I can't even stand to watch standard def anymore.
>
> I've seen and used HD sets. Heck, my sister has one (a fancy new one -
> 1080p
> of course) and I've watched stuff on it with her. BluRay, HDMI, all the
> bells & whitles, etc. Yea, the HD looks nice, but ultimately I've never
> gotten past the overall feeling of "Meh". YMMV, but it *honestly* just
> doesn't do much for me. Certainly not enough to blow hundreds of dollars
> on
> it.

3d.  It's worth the upgrade.  My brother has a PS3 and just got a 47" HD
3D set for about $1000.  Modern warfare in 3d is freaking amazing.

I'm waiting for the price to come down so I can get one :)

I currently have an HD tube tv which runs at 1080i.  The nice thing about
tubes is that standard definition *does* look more normal in it.  But the
bad part is that most HD signals are *expecting* you to have a flat
panel.  Whenever I watch a sports game, I get pissed that the score is cut
off by my TV because they put it on the exact edge of the picture.

-Steve