I'll be in Seattle at Lang.NEXT

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sun Apr 8 09:31:16 PDT 2012

Andrei Alexandrescu:

> Slides are online:
> http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Lang-NEXT/Lang-NEXT-2012/Three-Unlikely-Successful-Features-of-D

Putting the slides online before the talk is a very good idea, thank you.

Page 31: the title of this slide is "D array = pointer + length", but the image shows two pointers inside the array struct/fat pointer. Walter has said several times his desire to replace the pointer + length with two pointers. Are those desires going to produce a change?
And even if this is a bit OT: why aren't D array fat references composed by 3 fields: pointer + length + capacity? I think Go slices are like this.

Page 34, "Convenient": I don't know how well DMD will optimize this code, but it's one of the simplest to read array-twiddling palindrome functions I've seen.
But probably I write:
!a.empty
Instead of:
a.length

Page 36, "Palindrome generalized": unfortunately D doesn't map syntaxes like a[1..$-1] to range functions :-)

Page 51: An horizontal line needs to be at 1.0 too. But I prefer a graph that shows run-time seconds.

Very nice slides pack.
Bye,
bearophile