Video: Andrei Alexandrescu at @ Lang.NEXT 2012

Jakob Ovrum jakobovrum at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 07:10:12 PDT 2012

On Thursday, 12 April 2012 at 13:46:50 UTC, Jakob Ovrum wrote:
> This video went up a while ago. I would like to comment on it,
> but I didn't see any thread about it, so here it is.
>
>     Three Unlikely Successful Features of D
>

> http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Lang-NEXT/Lang-NEXT-2012/Three-Unlikely-Successful-Features-of-D?format=html5

Some comments:

Using goto for cleanup is a common trick probably known to most
modern C users. Maybe the C slide should have used goto, or there
could have been two C slides; the current setup was perhaps
slightly unfair to C programmers who would never think of writing
several indentations of rollback-cleanup.

C# programmers might want a word with you about slide #8, as C#
does have the `using` statement to help with cleanup in a sort-of
RAII-style way, except it still needs a level of indentation;
it's not revolutionary and not nearly as good as D style or even
C++ style cleanup, but it does improve it over the pure Java
model.

The editor comment would've made a great segue into mentioning
VisualD - I don't actually know much about the composition of the
audience, but it is a Microsoft hosted conference :V

I think it's important to emphasize that string mixins are only
available at compile-time, I think the host of eval()-like
functions in other languages have soured quite a few people to
the idea of mixing in strings as code. It should've been obvious
to anyone who was paying attention, but it's probably worth
mentioning nevertheless.

Slide #23: font size too big 8)

Anyway, overall, one of the best presentations about D I've seen
yet, it's always a joy to watch these videos.