XSort - Sorting algorithms (including Timsort!)

Xinok xinok at live.com
Thu Apr 12 07:50:18 PDT 2012

On Thursday, 12 April 2012 at 05:25:52 UTC, Nathan M. Swan wrote:
> On Thursday, 12 April 2012 at 03:04:49 UTC, Xinok wrote:
>> I just wanted to share this. I started a project a few weeks
>> ago on Github to implement several sorting algorithms in D. In
>> total, there are 8 modules at the moment, each implementing a
>> sorting algorithm or combination thereof.
>>
>> https://github.com/Xinok/XSort
>>
>> I just finished Timsort today. It's working, it's stable, but
>> I need to spend a little more time better optimizing it.
>
> Cool! To make it a bit more generic, may I suggest making all
> the inputs only have to be "isInputRange", and have it
> converted to an array.
>
> NMS

This incurs different behavior as random-access ranges would be
sorted in place and input ranges wouldn't be. I could add
separate functions to make this behavior explicit, but I see
little point in doing so. It's quite easy to convert an input
range to an array yourself:

import std.array, std.range;

auto inputRangeToArray(R)(R range)
if(isInputRange!R && !isInfinite!R)
{
	auto app = Appender!(ElementType!(R)[])();
	static if(hasLength!R) app.reserve(range.length);
	app.put(range);
	return app.data;