Introducing vibe.d!

Sönke Ludwig sludwig at outerproduct.org
Sat Apr 28 00:20:46 PDT 2012

Am 28.04.2012 06:16, schrieb Ary Manzana:
> On 4/28/12 8:12 AM, Ary Manzana wrote:
>> On 4/27/12 4:46 AM, Sönke Ludwig wrote:
>>> During the last few months, we have been working on a new
>>> framework for general I/O and especially for building
>>> extremely fast web apps. It combines asynchronous I/O with
>>> core.thread's great fibers to build a convenient, blocking
>>> API which can handle insane amounts of connections due to
>>> the low memory and computational overhead.
>>>
>>> Some of its key fatures are:
>>
>> Impressive. The website also looks really nice, and it's very fast.
>>
>> I'll definitely play with it and slowly try to make it into my
>> workplace, hehe.
>
> How to use it?
>
>  > ./bin/vibe
> usage: dirname path
> sh: /vpm.d.deps: Permission denied
> Failed: 'dmd' '-g' '-w' '-property' '-I/../source' '-L-levent'
> '-L-levent_openssl' '-L-lssl' '-L-lcrypto' '-Jviews' '-Isource' '-v'
> '-o-' '/vpm.d' '-I/'
> Error: cannot read file source/app.d
> Failed: 'dmd' '-g' '-w' '-property' '-I/../source' '-L-levent'
> '-L-levent_openssl' '-L-lssl' '-L-lcrypto' '-Jviews' '-Isource' '-v'
> '-o-' 'source/app.d' '-Isource'
>
> I also can't find the install.sh script...

Making the installation more automated is planned next, and the
install.sh was unfortunately documented before it was written. For now I
would recommend to create a symlink to the vibe script in /usr/bin and
then create a new project along the lines of the 'first steps' section
(http://vibed.org/docs#first-steps). In particular, there should be a
source/app.d file.

It's possible that bin directory also needs to be writable because of
how rdmd stores its .deps file, which is a bug that will get fixed.
Sorry for the slightly bumpy start.