Pull freeze

Regan Heath regan at netmail.co.nz
Wed Aug 1 03:28:11 PDT 2012

On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 16:54:17 +0100, Andrei Alexandrescu

> On 7/31/12 11:46 AM, deadalnix wrote:
>> We actually have to « reverse » the way thing are done. You can't go to
>> the other side of a gap in 2 steps. We face a change that cannot be
>> gradually adopted.
>
> Then I need more education. I thought a good thing to do is use
> branching for releases, and that we can start doing that without much
> difficulty. No?

If not, then someone or several someones need to produce a good document
to describe the process they're suggesting.  It seems that some people
here agree on a process, but others have slightly differing ideas.  The
issue is deciding on the best model for D, and making it clear to everyone.

So, definition is step 1, education is step 2 and implementation is steps
3+.

I think a wiki page which is editable by those with concerns might be a
good idea, or even a DIP.  It should describe the ideal workflow and give
concrete examples of common processes i.e. releases, dealing with
merges/rebases etc for bug fixes etc.

I've never used GIT, nor do I contribute to D at present or I might have
had a crack at this, someone else would definitely be better suited.