Pull freeze

David Nadlinger see at klickverbot.at
Wed Aug 1 10:04:04 PDT 2012

On Wednesday, 1 August 2012 at 11:56:48 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> Well this doesn't do a lot in the way of substantiating. I do
> want to be illuminated. I want to get DVCS! And my
> understanding is that we need to branch whenever we plan a new
> release, and cherry-pick bugfixes from the mainline, and such.

Disregard what I said about cherry-picking – while it would
work, I was thinking too much in terms of SVN here. With Git, the
better choice usually is to make all the commits which should end
up in the release directly on the release branch, and merge that
branch periodically back to master. If all the commits from the
release branch should also make it into master, which is usually
the case, you don't end up with two logically separate commits in
the same repository this way.

David