Dscanner - It exists

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Aug 1 23:26:37 PDT 2012

On Thursday, August 02, 2012 08:18:39 Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2012-08-01 22:20, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> > If you want really good performance out of a range-based solution
> > operating on ranges of dchar, then you need to special case for the
> > built-in string types all over the place, and if you have to wrap them in
> > other range types (generally because of calling another range-based
> > function), then there's a good chance that you will indeed get a
> > performance hit. D's range-based approach is really nice from the
> > perspective of usability, but you have to work at it a bit if you want it
> > to be efficient when operating on strings. It _can_ be done though.
>
> Is it really worth it though? Most use cases will just be with regular
> strings?

It's really not all that hard to special case for strings, especially when
you're operating primarily on code units. And I think that the lexer should be
flexible enough to be usable with ranges other than strings. We're trying to
make most stuff in Phobos range-based, not string-based or array-based.

- Jonathan M Davis