Pull freeze

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Thu Aug 2 02:00:31 PDT 2012

On Wed, 2012-08-01 at 07:56 -0400, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
[….]
> Well this doesn't do a lot in the way of substantiating. I do want to be
> illuminated. I want to get DVCS! And my understanding is that we need to
> branch whenever we plan a new release, and cherry-pick bugfixes from the
> mainline, and such. Or (when we have multiple contributors) use one
> branch per feature. When I ask you, you neither confirm nor deny that,
> but instead go for the vague "well you need to change your mindset". I
> hope you see how this is less than useful.

I am not sure how to respond to this. An email is not the place for a
tutorial on DVCS, and anyway there are a lot of pre-prepared ones
available as books or even on the Web. Moreover there has been a huge
amount of material by many people on this on this list already, there is
little point in just repeating it.

Some simple Web searching reveals:

http://sixrevisions.com/resources/git-tutorials-beginners/

http://learn.github.com/p/intro.html
http://gitready.com/

http://git.or.cz/course/svn.html
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-git-subversion-1/

http://www.slideshare.net/skoop/git-for-subversion-users-zendcon-2011

Sadly some of the stuff to be found on the Web is total rubbish, but
there is some good stuff albeit a little old sometimes. Old here is a
problem because Git in 2009 was crap in comparison to Git in 2012.

Dead tree materials available from Amazon (US rather than the more
expensive UK, obviously :-):

http://www.amazon.com/Distributed-Version-Control-Git-ebook/dp/B0067QNR56/ref=sr_1_5?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1343896115&sr=1-5&keywords=Git
http://www.amazon.com/Pragmatic-Guide-Git-Programmers/dp/1934356727/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1343896115&sr=1-4&keywords=Git
http://www.amazon.com/Version-Control-Git-collaborative-development/dp/1449316387/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1343896115&sr=1-3&keywords=Git
http://www.amazon.com/Pro-Git-Scott-Chacon/dp/1430218339/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1343896115&sr=1-1&keywords=Git

[…]

> Sorry Russel but this is just being smug. This conversation goes like this:
>
> RW: "You need to change everything! Everything!"
>
> AA: "Well so I understand from other people, step 1 is to branch for
> each release. Great."
>
> RW: "Yes and no! There is step 1 and no step 1! It's a revolution!"
>
> AA: "OK so what do I need to do?"
>
> RW: "You're hopelessly anchored in the wrong mindset! You don't
> understand! It's the second coming man!"
>
> AA: "Well this does little in the way of illuminating me."
>
> RW: "You're dumb and a bully. I'm not talking anymore."
>
> If you want to help, I'd be in your debt if you were just a tiny bit
> more concrete than telling me how hopeless I am.

The above is not exactly the best way of appealing to a person's better
nature.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk