2.060 on reddit

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sat Aug 4 11:32:21 PDT 2012

On Saturday, August 04, 2012 15:09:50 Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:

> >> I thought this was the idea of etc.* all along...
> >
> > Someone may have suggested that at some point, but that's not the way that
> > it's used at all.
>
> Well: http://dlang.org/phobos/index.html
>
> "etc
>
> This is the root of a hierarchy of modules mirroring the std hierarchy.
> Modules in etc are not standard D modules. They are here because they
> are experimental, or for some other reason are not quite suitable for
> std, although they are still useful."

I don't know who came up with that. At this point, all that etc is used for is
holding C bindings for 3rd party stuff. You'd need a much higher level of buy
in on any attempt to put the incubator stuff in etc than if it's in its own
project, if nothing else, because then they'd have to be involved.

> >> If nobody's against it, we should definitely get the ball rolling.
> >
> > I don't think that anyone's really against it, and it's not like it really
> > needs to be official. The Phobos review process can be the same that it's
> > been. There would just be a place for future Phobos stuff to be publicly
> > tinkered with and allowed to evolve through usage rather than just
> > designing everything up front as has often been the case with Phobos
> > modules. The problem is that someone actually needs to step up and make
> > it happen.
>
> Well, what actually needs to be done? When can something be submitted
> for etc.* rather than std.*? Etc...

That would be the sort of thing that needs to be sorted out. No incubator
project exists, and how it's managed depends on who creates it and whether
they're trying to put it in etc.* in Phobos or create a separate project for
it. Really, the incubator project is just a nice idea that's been tossed
around from time to time. The details have never been sorted out.

- Jonathan M Davis