First working Win64 program!

Sean Cavanaugh WorksOnMyMachine at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 14:21:52 PDT 2012

On 8/12/2012 4:12 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 8/12/2012 1:38 AM, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:
>> One question: Will the 32-bit tool chain also be able to use the MSVC
>> runtime
>> and linker eventually?
>
> It's not the current plan. Frankly, I think 32 bits is rapidly becoming
> irrelevant on the desktop.

Post windows 8 launch we should start seeing mainstream games shipping
32 and 64 bit binaries together in the same box.  We already have moved
off of 32 bit in house for our editors and tools.  The biggest hangup is
Microsoft keeps shipping 32 bit OSes, and we still have to support XP at
least through the end of the year.  With a little luck Win8 will be the
last 32 bit one.