First working Win64 program!

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Aug 12 23:29:13 PDT 2012

On Sunday, August 12, 2012 23:21:48 Walter Bright wrote:
> On 8/12/2012 10:50 PM, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> > Even still, it's a far cry to compare ditching 16-bit with
> > (effectively) shunning 32-bit. Yes, 64-bit is bocoming more and more
> > important, and yes, 32-bit is becoming less and less important, but I
> > still think you're very much jumping the gun here.
>
> We'll see. It has already happened on OSX.

OSX has a lot less backwards compatibility to worry about.

While D is primarily going to be used for writing new programs (and therefore
can choose to be 64-bit), it's a huge impediment to adding D into an existing
code base for it not be able to link with Microsoft's 32-bit linker. How much
that will ultimately matter, I don't know, but I think that it's pretty much a
guarante that we're losing quite a bit in the short term by not having
compatability with 32-bit Microsoft C/C+ on Windows.

- Jonathan M Davis