Fighting Wiki Spam (Was: Wiki4D is down)

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Wed Aug 15 13:41:01 PDT 2012

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 17:58:02 +0200
"Justin C Calvarese" <jccalvarese+d at gmail.com> wrote:

> If we did go to a new wiki system, I'd like to establish better
> security to prevent link spam. We could start off with having a
> small team with write-access and we could liberally grant
> permission to new team members as people express interests (if we
> used a GitHub solution, we could accept pull requests, too). I
> don't want to be in charge of a transition project, but I'd be
> willing to help out.

I've been hosting a (very low traffic) PmWiki
( http://semitwist.com/goldwiki ). I used to have constant linkspam
problems, even after I enabled the feature where it automatically syncs
its IP blacklist with major maintained blacklists.

But then (in addition to the auto-blacklistings) I followed the
suggestion in PmWiki's docs of requiring a password, but just simply
*stating* the password right there in the page:

http://www.semitwist.com/goldwiki/Main/TestPage?action=edit

It's been working *amazingly* well.