NaNs Just Don't Get No Respect

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Sat Aug 18 21:33:35 PDT 2012

On Sat, 18 Aug 2012 20:52:01 -0700
Walter Bright <newshound2 at digitalmars.com> wrote:

> On 8/18/2012 8:31 PM, Adam D. Ruppe wrote:
> > enum BOOL {
> >     TRUE,
> >     FALSE,
> >     FILE_NOT_FOUND
> > }

Heh, that's probably the #1 classic Daily WTF :)

> I used to work with digital electronics. There, "boolean" logic
> actually had 4 states:
>
>      True
>      False
>      Don't Know
>      Don't Care

It sounds like it's some EE joke, but yea, strange as it seems, not
only is there really a "Don't care", but it's actually useful (for
not wasting excess silicon/logic-gates on states that can't (or
shouldn't) ever occur - it means "ehh, just make this whatever value
would require the fewest logic gates since it won't actually matter
anyway").

I only ever dabbled with some very rudimentary digital EE, I'm still
a bit of a novice, but it's pretty damn cool stuff.