Antti-Ville Tuuainen Passes GSoC Final Evaluation

dsimcha dsimcha at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 22 14:41:19 PDT 2012

On Wednesday, 22 August 2012 at 20:04:12 UTC, David Nadlinger
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 21 August 2012 at 13:15:49 UTC, dsimcha wrote:
>> Congratulations, Antti-Ville!  This project creates a better
>> implementation of precise GC heap scanning than anything
>> that's been created so far for D.  The goal is to eventually
>> integrate it into standard D distributions.
>
> Great! I've been pretty much out of touch with the GSoC
> projects this summers, as I had a rather intense exam session
> at university – are there any progress reports/blog posts
> with actual numbers in them?
>
> David

Unfortunately not yet.  Antti-ville ran into a lot if difficulty
getting things to work and spent the first half of GSoC on an
approach that turned out to be the wrong one in hindsight.  His
project was originally supposed to be improving concurrency
support in the GC, but when rtinfo was added to TypeInfo, precise
heap scanning seemed like too good an opportunity to pass up.  To
do this project he had to learn the D template system from
scratch.  Therefore we didn't have the luxury of the luxury of
doing extensive benchmarking and documentation.  I plan to work
on that with him before he creates a pull request to integrate
his new and improved GC upstream.