Antti-Ville Tuuainen Passes GSoC Final Evaluation

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Thu Aug 23 23:27:09 PDT 2012

On 2012-08-23 16:38, Alex Rønne Petersen wrote:

> Yes, but parallelization of the mark phase is fairly trivial, and
> something we should probably look into.
>
> The GC will probably always be STW unless we get compiler support for
> inserting GC barriers.

Would a thread local GC be possible, and desirable? To my understanding,
which is not much, that means the GC will only run in one thread (or
multiple) and only needs to stop that/those thread(s). That also means
it only need to search for dead objects in the heap/storage area for
that particular thread (and where these point to).

If I understand this correctly this would be perfect for D since
everything is thread local by default.

There's also a global heap for global objects or objects shared between
threads.

--
/Jacob Carlborg