Walter charms the audience at Sioux

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Fri Aug 24 06:48:33 PDT 2012

On 8/24/12 12:35 AM, bearophile wrote:
> Walter Bright:
>
>> I like the plain jane look, and do not think it is unprofessional.
>
> A part of me thinks the outlook of those slides is not
> "shiny-professional", just compare your slides with the first and last
> slides in that Pdf probably added by the conference organizers, with
> refined graphics, etc:
> http://sioux.eu/en/hot-or-not/downloads/doc_download/80-walter-bright-d-programming-language.html

Slide design is greatly variable across speakers, and is poorly
correlated with the quality of the talk. That being said, Walter's
slides are well done and (knowing the talk) very adequate for supporting
the points made. I wouldn't change a thing.

> On the other hand I like that plain look myself :-) I love simple
> readable things, my slides look equally plain and simple.

I'd initially let it go, but now that you insist - then why would you
write this?

> Maybe someone of the D community is willing to prettify Walter slides
> before he does the talks. I think this will help give D endavour and
> community a bit more professional/refined look.

In one shot you gratuitously belittle quality work and arrogate to
yourself authority in judging it. I honestly don't understand why you'd
post that (and, unfortunately, many like it), unless your express
purpose is to piss people off.

Andrei