Social Influence on Language Adoption

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Fri Aug 24 09:17:35 PDT 2012

Andrei Alexandrescu:

> http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/yon3i/social_influences_on_language_adoption_pdf/

Some people on Lambda the Ultimate have criticized the quality of
the sources of the data, but despite those sources not looking
the best, I think the data is acceptable:
http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/4593

One of the things said by the paper is:

>Result 8. Curriculum matters more than college major in
>predicting which sorts of languages programmers know.
This result implies that adherents of a particular language
family, such as functional or logic programming, should emphasize
introducing developers to these concepts and languages while they
are still in school. While developers may be willing to learn new
languages throughout their career, they do not appear nearly so
inclined to learn new paradigms.<

At the university closest to me I see many various CS teachers
pushing hard for functional languages (but some courses require
languages like C or even assembly). So maybe future students will
be less willing to use imperative/OOP languages.

Bye,
bearophile