OT: Speed reading

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Fri Aug 31 00:19:38 PDT 2012

On Fri, 31 Aug 2012 08:41:58 +0200
"Kagamin" <spam at here.lot> wrote:

> On Friday, 31 August 2012 at 01:05:00 UTC, bearophile wrote:
> > Walter Bright:
> >
> >> Speed reading works fine when reading a bestseller novel. It's
> >> a complete failure at reading intellectually dense material.
> >
> > But if the novel you have speed read was very good you have
> > missed most of the enjoyment. It's like eating a very good
> > traditional handmade ice cream: if you gulp it down in few
> > seconds you miss most of the point of eating it :)
> >
> > Better to read one good novel slowly and appreciate and
> > understand it well, than quickly read three of them, and forget
> > them in few weeks.
>
> Even when watching a movie I usually rewind and rewatch intense
> scenes several times.

I do that constantly :)  (Netflix is a PITA with that though since
seeking an internet-streamed media just...doesn't naturally work well
like with local media. 'Course Netflix doesn't offer alternate
languages or dvd extras, which can be really annoying too on stuff
with mediocre dubs.)

In my case the constant rewinding is usually due to dialog being
mumbled or muddy or too fast or drowned out by sfx/music (which has
become unfathomably common these days) or when I just wasn't paying
attention and missed something ;)