ACCU: Wednesday, December 12 - Chandler Carruth, "Clang & LLVM: C++ Compilers Still Matter"

Ali Çehreli acehreli at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 9 22:11:02 PST 2012

I thought that this is not completely off-topic as Clang appears a lot
on D forums. This talk is in Mountain View, CA.

Ali

When:      Wednesday, December 12, 2012
Topic:     Clang & LLVM: C++ Compilers Still Matter
Speaker:   Chandler Carruth
Time:      6:30pm doors open
            7:00pm meeting begins
Where:     Symantec
            VCAFE building
            350 Ellis Street (near E. Middlefield Road)
            Mountain View, CA 94043
Map:       <http://tinyurl.com/334rv5>
Directions: VCAFE is accessible from the semicircular courtyard between
Symantec buildings <http://tinyurl.com/2dccgc>
Cost:      Free

Compilers are among programmers' old-hat tools. We use them day-in, and
day-out, but often we don't pay them very much attention. They take our
source code, turn it into (hopefully efficient) executables and
libraries, and, for most programmers, that is where the relationship
ends. But all of that is changing. Today, programmers need rich and
powerful tools to deal with the complexities and challenges of the
modern C++ programming language and its ever larger and faster-growing
code bases.

I'm going to introduce you to a compiler which is changing the way
people think about compilers: Clang. What is Clang? What makes it
different from all the other C++ compilers out there? Why does it
matter? What can you do with Clang? What will you be able to do because
of Clang in the next year, the next lustrum, and the next decade? I'll
dive into all of these questions and more. At the end of this talk, you
will be familiar with Clang, you will want to use it the next time you
write C++ code, and hopefully you will think about C++, both language
and codebases, with a fundamentally different perspective.

Chandler Carruth leads the LLVM and Clang teams at Google, building
better compilers, diagnostics, tools, and more. Previously, he worked on
several pieces of Google's distributed build system. He makes guest
appearances helping to maintain a few core C++ libraries across Google's
codebase, and is active in the LLVM and Clang open source communities.
He received his M.S. and B.S. in Computer Science from Wake Forest
University, but disavows all knowledge of the contents of his Master's
thesis. He is regularly found drinking Cherry Coke Zero in the daytime
and pontificating over a single malt scotch in the evening.

Meetings are open to the public and are free of charge.

---- Upcoming ACCU talks -----

Wednesday, January 9, 2013
Jon Kalb
C++ Exception Safety

---------

The ACCU meets monthly. Meetings are always open to the public and are
free of charge. To suggest topics and speakers please email Walter
Vannini via walterv at gbbservices.com