ICE 0.1: a moddable shoot-em-up in D

Kiith-Sa kiithsacmp at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 10:41:12 PST 2012

This is the first release of ICE, a small game project I'm
working on at the university.

ICE is a vertical shoot-em-up created with moddability in mind.
Its gameplay resembles games like Tyrian and Raptor: Call of the
Shadows.

There's still a lot of work to do (moddability is there but no
user-friendly editor, no ship upgrading, need better sounds,
bosses), but at least the game is playable.

We're using a component-based entity system (where components
behave as
plain data), allowing various custom entities to be created
without touching
the code.

The game is pretty slow on older PC's; this is not a D issue, but
some
code (graphics) is just written very inefficiently right now.
It's getting
better, though; D features made it easy to write tools to profile
memory
allocations and frame times; we can do stuff like find the
slowest frames,
break them down into zones to find out what took the most time,
even
find the allocations made during these frames. (I'd like to
separate thisinto another project in future).

See the full announcement here:
http://icegame.nfshost.com/index.html

Download the game:
http://icegame.nfshost.com/pages/downloads.html

Forums:
http://iceforum.nfshost.com/

Comments/criticism welcome (I've worked on a few toy game
projects, but this is
the first one that actually had a release; there are likely many
beginner
errors).