[OT] Three Optimization Tips for C++

Peter Alexander peter.alexander.au at gmail.com
Fri Dec 21 04:23:02 PST 2012

On Thursday, 20 December 2012 at 05:29:46 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:
> Vote up!
>
> http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/155ivw/three_optimization_tips_for_c_video/
>

> Andrei

I think the most interesting thing from that talk is when you
said that Facebook's back end code is spending 15% of its time
converting ints to strings.

I know you are looking at these small functions as simple
examples of the optimisation tips you are giving, but I hope this
isn't the kinds of optimisations you are doing at the Facebook.
The problem isn't that the conversion is slow, the problem is
that you are converting at all. Don't use text based formats for
performance sensitive data!

Of course, maybe the 15% claim was pure exaggeration. I really
hope that's the case.