Getting ready for 2.061

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Dec 23 11:49:17 PST 2012

On Sunday, December 23, 2012 20:06:38 Don wrote:
> IMHO, the big issue is, and has always been, what does the autotester test?
> It makes most sense to me to have all new fixes for _anything_ going
> into the development branch, and tests on the release branch to exist
> solely for regression testing "just in case".
> It makes no sense to me to have pull testing against multiple branches.

That makes it make all the more sense to merge into master first, though it
means that staging never gets tested in all of the various environments, which
could be a problem if commits that are in master aren't supposed to be merged
into staging but actually (unknowingly) fix the build somehow. There's no way
to fix that without actually running the autotester or staging as well as
master though. No matter how you do the branching, if you're not releasing
from your development branch, you end up needing to autotest both branches if
you want to be safe about it.

- Jonathan M Davis