Tango for D2: All user modules ported

SiegeLord none at none.com
Wed Feb 1 19:23:11 PST 2012

Nick_B Wrote:

> Any comment that you can make on performance. Is it faster or slower
> than D1 ?

It's hard to say. I write very non-idiomatic D2 code... I don't use the string type at all, saving on quite a bit of GC use. I would say that if you code just like you did in D1, but use the const system to enforce some safety then your code will be just as fast as it was in D1. If you start using immutable and all the extra allocations that entails... I doubt it'd be nearly as fast.

As this project was written from scratch in D2, I don't have a D1 version to compare to... Lastly, this was a game, so most of the time consumption comes from the graphical pipeline...

As for Tango itself, yes I had to add a few .dups here and there. They are relatively rare, however, and usually only happen when an error is raised. I'd be very surprised if under normal usage TangoD2 is significantly slower than the original Tango.

-SiegeLord