D forums now live!

Vladimir Panteleev vladimir at thecybershadow.net
Wed Feb 15 02:55:56 PST 2012

On Wednesday, 15 February 2012 at 00:33:29 UTC, torhu wrote:
> On 14.02.2012 23:00, Walter Bright wrote:
>> http://forum.dlang.org/
>>
>> This should replace the old miserable web interface to the
>> forums.
>>
>> Thanks to Vladimir Panteleev for an awesome job writing this!
>
> Nice! One suggestion for improvement:  don't change the font
> size based on the browser window size.  I'm not a web
> programmer, but I'm sure someone here can suggest a better way
> of setting the font size.

That's a tough one... This behavior is part of an effort to make
the interface look good on any screen size. This doesn't include
just PCs, but also mobile devices.

The advantage of the current approach is that it does not rely on
JavaScript - it's completely CSS-based. It's not just the font
size, either - the navigation column on the left is hidden if the
viewport is not wide enough, and some other sizes are adjusted.

While I could use JavaScript to query the viewport window on load
time and apply the adjustments only on page load, it'd have to
mean relying on JavaScript, and you'd still see the font size
change when you resize the window and click a link.

I don't think having a "font size" JavaScript widget is a better
solution. It'd mean having one canned experience optimized for
one device be the default for all devices. Detecting user-agents
or other complicated logic is not something I wish to go down,
either.

May I ask why you don't like the current behavior?