D forums now live!

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Wed Feb 15 07:19:58 PST 2012

On 2012-02-15 15:06, Vladimir Panteleev wrote:
> On Wednesday, 15 February 2012 at 12:44:22 UTC, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> I really like this behavior but noted a couple of things. Take this
>> for example:
>>
>> http://imageshack.us/f/140/dfeediphone.png/
>>
>> This is an image from the iPhone simulator. As you can see, the text
>> in the top post overflows the design to left. The reason for this
>> seems to be because of links that don't get wrapped. It only wraps at
>> word boundaries and some characters like "-". These links also causes
>> the text size to become smaller sooner then it seems to have.
>>
>> An idea to fix this would be to use the CSS3 property "word-break":
>>
>> http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/css3_pr_word-break.asp
>
> It looks like it will break on any character indiscriminately, so looks
> like it'd need to be applied selectively.

Exactly, it should only be applied to links.

> There's no way to get it to
> prefer breaking on whitespace/punctuation, but resort to breaking at
> arbitrary points otherwise?

It don't think so.

>> An other idea, that would work for basically all browsers, would be to
>> add zero-width spaces to the links:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zero-width_space
>
> I'm wary of magical characters because they may end up in text copied by
> the user. For example, what if someone posts a code sample that contains
> a long string of alphanumerics?

It depends on where you paste it. Copying a string containing a
zero-width space and pasting it in TextMate results in a visible space.
If I instead paste it in TextEdit there's no visible space. I tried a
few other applications as well and there was no visible space in those.

--
/Jacob Carlborg