D forums now live!

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Wed Feb 15 13:34:42 PST 2012

"Ludovic Silvestre" <ludovic.silvestre at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:lgmfvnqiiwxuctpgqsbq at dfeed.kimsufi.thecybershadow.net...

>> In any case, this is one of the reasons I hate the modern web. On the
>> user's side, content and view have become completely married together.
>> That's a *huge* step backwards. Thanks to a very large effort put into
>> standard file formats and general computer-to-computer interop, it used
>> to be that any content could be viewed in any program, any UI, any style,
>> any anything the *user* wanted. We had achieved a computing golden age!
>> But once things moved to the web, that got completely thrown out the
>> window as interface is now inseparably *bundled* with content once again
>> (and vice versa - content comes inseparably bundled with the interface).
>> While model-view separation is popular among webdevs, that separation
>> exists completely on the developer's side, not the user's side. Of course
>> in this particular case, it's not quite so bad because there's lots of
>> different interfaces to the same NNTP server, but still...
> Check out this: http://axr.vg/

Interesting. At a glance, it sounds like it still doesn't address my rant
above (though I don't see how it could). And I would have preferred to see
XML abandoned and have a unified language for content and presentation (note
that doesn't preclude separation of actual content and presentation - I'd
just like to see them both use a single common langauge...and no XML).

But other than that, it sounds very similar to what I've been wanting to do.
Definitely worth a closer look.